Dandelions have a bright yellow flower, a group of small flowers tightly grouped together. The bright yellow flower is called a floret, followed by "puffballs" or "blowballs" when the dandelions turn white. These white puffballs are made of seeds that are carried by the wind over long distances. Dandelions are prolific seeders, originally native to Europe and Asia they are now well established in most of the world. Expect it to take three or more visits of weed control per year to effectively get rid of dandelions, after daytime temperatures hit 70 degrees dandelions will keep growing and they aren't all on the same life-cycle so there will be new flowers and seeds to deal with throughout the year.
Interesting Facts About Dandelions:
- There are two kinds of dandelions that are both edible.
- The word dandelion means “lion’s tooth” in French, from the phrase "dent de lion".
- The world record tallest dandelion measured officially at 70 in. dried.
- Dandelions don't need to be pollinated to form seeds.
- Each dandelion plant can produce up to 5,000 seeds per year.
- Dandelion seeds can travel more than half a kilometer from the plant before germinating.
- Dandelions are able to germinate as much as 9 years later after going to seed.
Dandelions fall under the category of broadleaf weeds. When controlling dandelions make sure to eliminate the root of the plant, removing the flower head isn't enough the plant will definitely grow back. Its important to always be careful and apply according to the label or leave mixing and application of chemicals up to professionally certified applicators. Granular fertilizers and liquid weed control applications will also help turfgrass dominate the lawn and prevent undesirable weeds.
Get A Free Instant Quote On Lawn Care Today
Spring Touch offers our customers a customized lawn care program. The program can use professional control methods, organic products, or a hybrid professional/organic approach. Note that the organic lawn care program does not provide weed control. The recommended treatment used for dandelions is a broad spectrum postemergent herbicide. Expect results to take at least 3-4 treatments per year to achieve dandelion control on your lawn. Spring Touch recommends our 6 step lawn care program to remove dandelions and thicken up your existing turf lawn. For more information call 507-388-9100 or login to your account to get a free instant quote on your lawn care program today.